Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Good Deed Story: A Christmas Angel delivers more then a gift

[I received this story from my high school friend, Gwen. She has been involved with the Shop with a Cop program for 5 years, 4 years as the Director in her town. This years' experience was especially unique. May you be inspired to Be the 1 too. <3 Due to privacy, full names have been removed. ]


During the fundraising and nomination process for the shop with a cop program this year I anxiously awaited The "R" Family to be nominated. Finally for the list from the school and there they were. I met this family for the first time last year with the program and was completly touched by them.

Elizabeth (Grandmother) "R" is raising her 5 grandchildren. The mother to these children has been MISSING since 2004. To this point she has not been declared deceased so Social Security for the children does not exist. She survives off of $525 a month. All of the phone number that the school left for them were disconnected, I sent officers to her house to invite them to the program event. They came and with them was a small 2 year old girl that would not have qualified for the program. Elizabeth and this small child roamed through wal mart while the other children shopped with the police officer. I had a few minutes to chat with Elizabeth and I told her that I sent her name in also for a Christmas food basket and asked if they had enough food. Mrs. "R" as humble as always stated that they had plenty but it is hard to buy groceries due to the refrigerator they have not working properly. And the only vehicle that they own doesnt have reverse (but runs good on the interstate) I decided that the small child needed Christmas, the program had the funds, and gave Mrs. "R" the money to take that child to go shopping. We also gave her an additional 200 dollars for non perishable groceries.

On the way home my husband and I with heavy hearts decided that we needed to find her a fridge. It took me 4 days but I found her one. We are due to deliver it tonight. She says Im one of Gods True life angels. Best Christmas Gift I have ever had!

Its moments like these where you may find yourself hearing a need that's much greater then the present moment....and if you can, respond to it. <3 Thank you Gwen for sharing your story. Im SURE that it will inspire others. Thanks for Being the 1!

1 comments:

Dave Beal said...

Another great story shared. Happy New Year, Danielle - to you and all those who you touch, nuture, and inspire.

Post a Comment